Avoid Fire Damage in Montgomery When Smoking by Taking Precautions
Montgomery's Fire Damage Technicians Talk About Problems Associated With Cigarette Smoking
Millions of people across the country smoke cigarettes and some may even smoke inside their Montgomery apartment. Smoking indoors is never a good idea for several reasons including that the act is a common source of fire damage. Nearly one in five people in the U.S. or over 40 million people smoke cigarettes on a daily basis. According to the stats, smoking materials cause over 17,000 structural burns every year. Among those, over 1,300 people get hurt, and almost 500 of them die from this type of fire damage each year.
Smoking is not only unhealthy for the smoker and everyone near them, but it can also be the source of several problems. Cigarette butts that do not get put out all of the way or ash that does not make it into the ashtray can cause fire damage to your Montogomery apartment. Some people fill up outdoor ashtrays too full or dump their butts in the trash when they are still hot. And the sad part is that these are only a few of the several ways our SERVPRO technicians have seen cigarettes and smoking in general set things ablaze.
When it comes to tobacco smoke, it can cause damage just by being inside a unit, and the act of smoking increases your risk of having a fire burn on your property. When someone smokes inside a building, the partially combusted tobacco penetrates into most materials inside the dwelling. The smell of cigarette or cigar smoke often lingers in contents and building materials even after people stop smoking inside the structure. In some cases, the smoke damage gets so bad that our SERVPRO technicians must use either an ultra-low volume fogging machine or an ozone generator to neutralize and remove the foul, burnt aromas from the apartment.
The act of smoking involves many activities that increase the risk of a person starting a fire inside a home. Even if the burn is small, different types of smoke other than those coming from cigarettes can affect building materials and your contents.
If a fire gets started by a smoker at your apartment complex and you think your unit may have been affected, call SERVPRO of Montgomery at (334) 273-0992 any day of the week.
Click here for more about Montgomery.