If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (334) 273-0992

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Most Common Causes of Commercial Fires

6/23/2016 (Permalink)

Electrical Fires Due To Overloaded Circuits Are Easily Prevented

Proper Training and Maintenance Can Help Prevent Workplace Fires

Unfortunately, commercial fire damage in Lake Martin and across the rest of the United States happens more frequently than you might think. While there are a number of reasons a fire may spark in a commercial building, some are much more common than others. Here’s a quick look at some of the more common reasons.
Human Error

Many commercial fires can be attributed to human error and are not meant to be malicious. For example, spilling liquids on electrical equipment, leaving a coffee pot on, or burning food in the kitchen can easily cause a fire to break out. To decrease the chances of this happening in your commercial building, perform risk assessments to determine if any changes need to be implemented, provide proper staff training, and ensure fire extinguishers are easily accessible throughout the building.

Negligence fires are the result of someone not following proper procedures and can usually be easily avoided by proper staff training. For example, storing or handling flammable items improperly or covering electrical equipment that must have air can result in a fire that causes significant commercial fire damage.

Unfortunately, arson is a frequent cause of commercial fires, particularly in industrial buildings and factories. This may be an act of vandalism, an attempt to collect insurance money or even the work of an unhappy employee. To minimize the damage associated with arson, you may want to consider installing an automatic sprinkler system.
Faulty Wiring/ Electrics

Electrical issues are another frequent cause of commercial fires. For example, outdated equipment, loose or frayed wires, and overloaded plugins can spark a fire with little to no advance warning. This is why it is so important to make certain your electrical equipment, including boilers, hot water heaters, and furnaces are in good working order and able to handle their workload. To ensure your equipment/ appliances are functioning properly, you may want to invest in a portable appliance tester (PAT).
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Montgomery is conveniently located to ensure a fast response to your commercial fire emergency. If you experience a commercial fire in Lake Martin, Montgomery, Halcyon, or the surrounding areas, our trained technicians have the resources and tools to help. Call (334) 273-0992 today.

Other News

View Recent Posts