Enjoy Winter Activities While Keeping Your Fire Risk Low | SERVPRO® of Montgomery
Regardless of the season or the weather, house fires are a possibility. However, during the winter months, they can be even more likely according to a report done by the Red Cross recently. Many winter activities lead to an increased risk of a house fire, so it is important to prioritize fire safety during all that you do.
During any given month, cooking is the leading cause of house fires, with winter being no exception. However, the use of space heaters, fireplaces and decorations also increase in the winter, raising the fire risk with them. Fortunately, there is no need to give up these festive activities—it is just important that they are done safely.
Make Sure Your Fire Risk Is Low During the Holidays
Keep safe when cooking. Cooking and baking incidents are always a concern when it comes to house fires, and with holiday meals and the baking of winter treats, it is even more likely. It is important to always be safe while in the kitchen, keeping flammable items away from the stove and oven, having a fire extinguisher handy and never leaving cooking food unattended.
Heat the house with proper precautions. As a chill hits the air, making use of a space heater or fireplace is a must to stay toasty—as long as they are used safely. Though space hearts have become safer in recent years, they are still responsible for many fires every year. Be sure your model is equipped with safety features and never leave it running while no one is in the room. If you have a fireplace, follow safety guidelines every time you light a fire.
Decorate with care. Winter holiday decorations such as string lights are festive and fun, but they can introduce more dangers as well. Around 25% of fires of Christmas trees are started by decorations, but by checking your cords for wear and tear, unplugging everything when it will be unattended and safely plugging things into multiple outlets, you can greatly reduce the chances of this occurring.
If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.