Fireplace Safety Tips for Your Family for Fall/Winter 2021 | SERVPRO® of Montgomery
It is that time of year again! The weather is getting colder, leaves are changing, finally getting to wear that favorite sweater! So, what better way to relax with your family and friends than by lighting your fireplace and putting on your favorite holiday movie? Of course, it is always imperative that you take the proper safety measures when using your fireplace so here are a few reminders about fireplace safety.
Fireplaces and Indoor Air Quality
Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detectors. "Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home," according to EPA.gov. Improperly maintained fireplaces, wood-burning or gas, can cause carbon monoxide gases to build-up in your home.
Before Starting a Fire in Your Fireplace
Before starting your fire, remember to clean out all the ashes from previous fires. High levels of ash can cause more smoke. Therefore, it is best to have one inch or less of ash inside the fireplace since a thicker layer can restrict the air supply. Be certain to make sure your damper or flue is open so the chimney can draw the smoke out of the house and leave it open until the embers are completely burned out.
What Types of Wood Should You Use?
Remember using smaller pieces of wood on a grate can burn faster and create less smoke. Also using dry, well-aged wood can help to burn logs more evenly. When you use wet, fresh logs it can cause the wood to cause more smoke and soot inside the chimney. Your chimney should be checked annually by a professional to make sure it is clean and in proper use. It is also a good idea to routinely check for animal nests or blockages that can become wedged inside the chimney and can prevent the smoke from being properly ventilated.
Around the Fireplace
Make sure that the area surrounding the fireplace is free of any objects especially anything flammable such as newspapers or lighters. Safety screens can also prevent any burns or sparks. Any stokes or sharp objects should also be out of reach from small children. Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and test them routinely. Also, remember to keep a fire extinguisher on hand that is up to code. Speak with young children as early as possible about the dangers of fires and the heat resulting from them. As always, happy warming!
If your home or business should sustain fire damage or water damage from fires, SERVPRO has local technicians on standby 24 hours a day for emergencies, and we’ll be on hand to make sure your restoration needs are taken care of. Click or call today to find out how we can help when disaster strikes.