Holiday Fires?! Let's Hope Not!
STOP!!! Can we get through Halloween first?? Sure, but the holidays are right around the corner and will be here before we know it. Time just seems to be flying by this year. Especially with the crazy 2020 year, we have already been having. The last thing anyone needs or wants is a house fire. We at SERVPRO of Montgomery want to give you some Holiday Safety Tips so you make lasting memories with your family that does not include burning your house down! According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), here are a few holiday safety tips to remember;
- Dried flowers, cornstalks, and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open
flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o lanterns. If you use a real candle, use
extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When
lighting candles inside jack-o lanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter.
- Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- If deep-frying your turkey, defrost the turkey COMPLETELY – and dry it before putting it in hot
- Keep a grease-rated fire extinguisher close by
- Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor
or outdoor use.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.